Sunday, January 22, 2012

Salem Witch Museum

This is a layout I did today to begin my pages for my weekend Boston trip with my sisters in December. We had so much fun! I used sketch 9-29-10 from Let's Scrap for this layout.
The first day we landed our goal was to see the Salem Witch Museum. Salem is very close to the airport, and we landed too late to see anything of Boston, so that seemed like the best bet.
It is unbelievable to me  how much American culture has changed since this time period (1692 specifically). Back then there was a lot of belief in evil and that Satan was present and active on earth. The people of Salem believed in witchcraft and that it was being practiced and used to inflict harm, sickness, and madness on them and their fellow townspeople.
But, it is even more unbelievable that the courts (and people for that matter) would take the word of a few vindictive teenager girls to convict and eventually hang innocent people. Some were accused because they were outcasts--homeless or divorced and remarried *gasp*. Some because they were different, or because they had quarrel with families of the accusers.
Journaling Reads:

12*03*11
As soon as Lacy and I landed in Boston, we all set out to find the Salem Witch Museum. We were always curious about the events that had led to the trials and eventual hangings of accused 'witches' during this time period. It was a really interesting visit & very informative. All I have to say is that I'm glad society has grown in our acceptance of other cultures.

No comments: