Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shane's Dad

Many of you know from my posts on facebook or other social networking sites that my husband's father was in a pretty serious ATV accident on Sunday afternoon. I thought I would give an update as well as tell the story since so many people have been asking.
A big group of Shane's friends and some relatives went out to the Eureka area on Sunday afternoon riding 4-wheelers. They were just heading back to the truck to come home. Shane was in the lead (because he's a freaking speed demon), and his dad was trying to catch up to him.
Well, as Terry was rounding one of the corners, one of his tires caught the ditch on the embankment. It was pretty deep, about 2 feet they say, and it threw Terry from the wheeler.
From what I understand, he hit the ground with his shoulder and skidded about 20-30 feet on the ground. Then, the wheeler landed on top of him.
Shane's best friend, James jumped off of his own wheeler and ran and threw Terry's wheeler off of him.
They could see right away that it was going to be bad. They were going to try to put him in the trucks and take him out, but he began to go into shock.
Someone, I think it was an old friend of Shane's from high school (Allen), called 911. They used the truck and cell phone GPS to track them since there wasn't an address they could give. Once the ambulance got there, it was clear that he would have to be flown out by helicopter.
Life Flight came and got him, and they took him to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo. I got there right when they landed.
To try to keep this post manageable, I won't bother with the rest of too many details. But, he has 16 broken bones in his shoulder, color bone, spine, and rib cage. And he also has a crushed lung. He seemed to be in and out of consciousness for the last few days, but we believe that was medication issues. He seems to be doing much better today and is up and walking, if a little stilted. His breathing is also doing better, and they will most likely move him out of Adult ICU within the next couple of days.
He will eventually be transferred to a rehabilitation wing before he can go home. The expectation right now is that he will be in the hospital for at least another week. And, hopefully, I will be available to help him out once he is discharged to go home. If I do end up getting a job or something miraculous like that, we've had a couple of people offer to help out.
Everyone has been so kind in offering help as well as prayers and in coming to see him at the hospital. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I'm sure he (and we) will get through this.


Jolanda said...

Thinking of you and your family Shelly!!Take care,this sounds terible!

Autumn said...

I am so sorry to hear about Shane's dad. Please let me know if you need anything. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya girl!


Jessica said...

Oh my goodness. I am so glad that he is doing better! I will keep him and your family in my prayers.